Photo Collage

Monday, October 11, 2010

Hope and Prayers…

This post will be a little different from any of our previous posts.  It gives me great joy to write about the privilege we had on Sunday of photographing one large, crazy and absolutely AWESOME family!  These people are my heroes in every way!!!  I also have had the honor of being their friend for over 30 years so this whole story hits me right in the gut!
The photos aren’t ready yet but stay tuned…they will follow as soon as we can get them ready!  This is about the AWESOME-ness of this family.  It’s also a request for some prayers for them.
In July, they were like most of the rest of us.  Kim & Sterling are the Nana and Papi of a growing family, all with crazy-busy lives and were awaiting a new grandbaby due in August.  Matt & Sandra are the parents of Mia and Charlie with the new baby due in August.  Ryan & Jaclyn just had Benjamin earlier in the year.   Mia was starting kindergarten just before the new baby was to arrive and things started to go awry.   Mia was sick and getting sicker; and beautiful new baby, Genevieve (aka Vivi), arrived right in the middle of it.

I don’t have all the dates straight, but I will never forget that the day after Labor Day I got an email that Mia was in the hospital and was very sick and would be having lots of tests.  This wasn’t more than a week or two after I had received the email about Vivi’s birth!  Late that night I found out Mia had a brain tumor and was having surgery the next day.  I can’t even begin to explain what that felt like for me so I really can’t begin to imagine hearing that about your child/grandchild/niece.  The good news is they got the whole tumor.  The bad news is they have a year of treatment ahead of them and it will be a long, tough year, but they are up for the challenge.


Mia started six weeks of daily radiation treatments last week.  She is going to lose all her hair and it won’t be back until after all the treatment ends.  We were already planning to take family photos of this growing and beautiful family  but we moved the date up a bit!  Mia wasn't having a good day yesterday but I think you'll see from these photos that she rallied for just a little while so we could capture her spirit and her beauty.  Her nana has seen it and she says "she's betting on Mia"...and so am I.


So – that’s why it was an honor and a privilege to take the photos of this AWESOME family. 
Awesome because:
…they have shown me what family – and love - is all about…
…they have banded together and done what families do at times like this…
…they are scared about the year ahead, grateful for each other and optimistic for Mia's full recovery…

...they will be there lifting each other up with support and love and whatever else is needed...
…they believe in miracles and the power of prayer…
…they are honest and aren’t afraid to show their true feelings…
…and just because

You might think I’d be done rambling by now, but…I’m not! 
Jaclyn Foutz is singularly responsible for starting a wonderful website called Human Tribe Project.  She quit her job as an attorney and started it after watching a good friend of hers suffer through cancer.  She saw a need and unlike many of us who just think about something that would be a wonderful contribution, she found her passion and acted on it.  Please check out Human Tribe Project and while you’re there, check out the Tribe Page for Princess-Mia…and maybe even join Mia’s tribe so you can follow her progress through the coming year.  If you know someone who is suffering through a major illness or trauma, share the site with them.  Many people who don’t yet know about it could really use it.

Have I told you I believe in miracles?  Well, I do…and I believe there’s a big miracle happening now in this AWESOME family!  But…they have a long road ahead of them and could really use all the prayers they can get, including yours!  Have I told you I also believe in the power of prayer?
From both of the sisters to the entire Foutz clan, thanks for letting us share for a little while...share the chaos, the love, the smiles and the frowns, the laughter and the tears...AND the babies (we love those beautiful babies!).

 

Keep an eye out for the next installment with photos of the whole gang!  You won't want to miss them because this family has some pretty darned cute kids!

Blessings to you and yours…
Karen
"Those blessings are sweetest that are won with prayers and worn with thanks."
~Thomas Goodwin



1 comment: