Photo Collage

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Trip of a Lifetime!

This was originally intended to be a blog dedicated to the photo shoots we have and how much fun we have doing it.  Somewhere along the line we added a category for “On The Road” because we have so much fun taking photos of the places we go! 

Having just been on a two-week odyssey in Scotland, England and Ireland I have had lots of questions about when and how I was going to “post” photos!  Between my photos and those of mi commadre, Maria, I can guarantee that no one wants to look at all of them…with the possible exception of my sister!  I thought maybe I could break down the best of the best in a few short blog posts.  I don’t think Tina would mind my using this forum for my travel photography!

So, if you have an interest…please read on!  If you don’t, be sure to let me know and I’ll take your name off the distribution list!

So many of the pictures will really only have meaning to us, for one reason or another.  One of the things I am most fascinated by, though, is the age of things…buildings, cemeteries, etc.  Even the oldest buildings in America are new compared to some of the buildings in Europe.  We saw gravestones from the 1600s and churches that have been standing for centuries.  Sometimes the beauty is more evident in real life and you wonder why you took the photo.  But sometimes the photo captures something very special.

When you drive through the country roads, or along the “motorway” in England you see lush, green farmland on both sides of the road.  The farms are divided either by hedges or stone walls and are odd shapes.  Many of the plots of land are dotted with sheep and to us it was quaint and something new.  After asking for a chance to pull over and take photos I finally got one.  The photo of the field of sheep was not near as interesting as this guy who stared at me for awhile and then wandered off.  I guess the blue spot that looks like cotton candy is in lieu of a brand since all the sheep had the same marking.

.

After just a short time in the car, I developed an obsession with doors…all colors of doors – red, green, blue, yellow, black, you name it!  I’m guessing I could print a full book of just doors!!!  Of course it didn’t hurt that the buildings were so unique as well.  Most of the time, I took photos of just the door but I loved this building as well!



We spent our first night in Stratford Upon Avon which is Shakespeare’s birthplace.  Avon means river and the river truly runs right through the town.  We loved our hotel, The Swan’s Nest,  and what we saw of the town in the short time we were there.  We had Stella Artois beer at the restaurant and had a little fun playing with the perspective on the beer glasses.  I guess you could say we were tired enough to entertain ourselves easily!  Once we got to Guinness country, it was the last we would see of Stella for awhile!





Before leaving town and heading for Scotland, we took the time to visit Trinity Church which was where Shakespeare was married and buried.  We found it odd two weeks later in London when the guide on our Red Bus told us “this is the place where Shakespeare is buried” so we don’t really know what the deal is there!  By the way, old churches fascinate me as much as doors so you can guess that I got a few of those as well.

There is a cemetery in front of the church...
Shakespeare is buried here at the front of the church...OR is he?

This is the beautiful pipe organ in the church!  I would love to hear it!

Oh my...this is only Day 1 and 2.  How will I ever narrow these down? 


Blessings to you and yours,



″A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.”Moslih Eddin Saadi



No comments:

Post a Comment