Photo Collage

Friday, July 22, 2011

Every Golfer's Dream Come True

St. Andrews, Scotland:  The Home of Golf, Where it All Began, The Royal and Ancient Golf Club (6 centuries ancient!) and The Reason for Our Trip…at least as far as Bryan was concerned.  This was truly a longtime goal and dream that was finally coming true!  The whole trip was originally supposed to be a golf trip to Ireland…until Bryan said he wasn’t going to go that far and NOT play St. Andrews!  And so we made it happen…and it was wonderful and so worth it!

On our first day in St. Andrews, Paul and Bryan played 36 holes on two different courses.  There are no photos from those days because Maria and I went sightseeing in the town of St. Andrews.  But…those were necessary in order to assure the tee time at the St. Andrews Old Course.  I walked the course that day and I sure was glad I did.  It was amazing and like nothing I had ever seen! 

It is a Links Course, so once I committed to walking I had to go all the way.  It was a workout but it was also a beautiful day.  There were clouds and on 17 it actually rained enough for me to grab Bryan’s umbrella, mainly to protect my camera.  But…as quickly a it started, it was over!  There were awesome views all the way and I was so happy to be there, in the fresh air and looking at the beauty surrounding me.  There were a few times I was a little too loud for golf course etiquette, but Bryan quickly brought me back in line.

The guys had caddies and it was a good thing.  They were able to tell them how far the hole was and lots of other important information, plus what a bonus to have someone carry your clubs!  The bunkers were the scariest things I had ever seen and the caddies were able to tell them to hit it out backwards or sideways because they would never get out of them any other way!!!  There were some amazing greens that were huge where one green was actually for two holes, one for the front nine and one for the back!!!  They differentiate them with red and white flags.  One of the caddies told me on one green you could actually have a 100-yard putt!!!

As we came in on the 18th fairway, Maria met us and we took the token photos on the bridge.  We had a view of this bridge from our rooms and it was lots of fun to watch all the groups stop there.  The guys had said when they started that they just wanted to be sure to shoot par on 18.  They both did that and it was quite exciting!!!  Bryan had about a 12-foot putt in front of all the onlookers and when he made it, it was quite exciting!

All in all, I’m sure Bryan would say playing St. Andrews was the highlight of the trip and a dream come true!
This is it!!...Where it all began...the golfer's mecca, St. Andrews, Scotland - The Royal & Ancient


Finally!

After dinner, we had to go explore and try to peek in the windows!

This was the view from our room at the Rusacks Hotel!  Note the bridge...and the golfers coming in.





Oh my...those bunkers!!!









And...the celebration afterward!!!


Blessings to you and yours,


 "The more I studied the Old Course, the more I loved it; and the more I loved it, the more I studied it."--Bobby Jones, on St. Andrews






No comments:

Post a Comment