Photo Collage

Thursday, November 25, 2010

What I'm Thankful For...



Since we don't have a lot of followers yet, it may not have been noticed that we haven't made a blog post for awhile.  Truthfully, we haven't felt much like it and we really still don't!  Our mom left this world quite unexpectedly on Friday, November 5; and although they say life must go on, I think the holidays will be weird and sad and different this year; and I'm actually not much in the mood for celebrating them.   I may not celebrate, but I will participate because there are so many she left behind who are all feeling the same way...and because she would want us to be together and to move forward, even if it's one baby step at a time.

Perhaps it's fitting that Thanksgiving and my birthday are following so closely behind her passing.  It's the time of year we tend to focus more on what we're thankful for than we do at other times of the year, although we should be waking up each day full of gratitude for the many blessings in our lives.  I find that when I focus on my blessings and on being thankful, the sad or difficult things become much easier to bear and they don't seem quite so large.  So now I face the task before me... 

"The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!"  ~Henry Ward Beecher

I could provide an endless list of what I'm thankful for and so could the rest of us.  Suffice it say, I'm thankful I had the mom I did for as many years as I did.  I was blessed by her every day of my life, although I'm sure I didn't always know that in my younger years.  I'm thankful I realized that before it was too late.  I'm thankful for the friends and family who have been and will continue to surround me with sympathy, love, understanding and comfort.   And I'm thankful that she is at peace, resting in the arms of the Lord, and that I can look forward to being reunited with not one but two moms one day in Heaven!

So, for today my wish for all of you is that you will find blessings too numerous to count in the midst of whatever burdens you heart. 

I'm thankful for times like these...and plenty of good memories!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Blessings to you and yours,
Karen
"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.  It turns what we have into enough, and more.  It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity.  It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.  Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow."  ~Melody Beattie

No comments:

Post a Comment